fuel tank screen change?

Is the fuel tank pickup screen accessed from beneath the car or is it on top of the tank? My 300D is sucking air into the fuel line from a pinhole, and it seems like there is an awful lot of vacuum on that
line - what is normal vacuum for feed line?
thanks,
-Tom '82 300D Turbo 196K
Suggest you first check the fuel supply line, particularly the hose connections to the fuel filters as well as the filters themselves before opening the fuel tank.

The filters are new and the connections are tight, and I know that there is a hole in the supply line since there is a little pool of diesel under the car when I let it sit from where it leaks down. I can see bubbles in the fuel if I open the throttle at all...
In my Haynes manual it shows the pick-up screen as coming in from the bottom; this is OK though since I have to empty the tank in order to repair the fuel line anyway.
Has anyone measured vacuum at a tee before the lift pump for an un-restricted fuel system? I am at 5~10 in. Hg at highway speeds, which seems like an awful lot for a 6mm supply line.
thanks,
-Tom
Why not fix the leak?

Of course I have to do that too!