fuel, temp, and oil guages inactive and buzz from behind instrument panel.

Hello,
This is a repeat of a previous post but that didn't have the option to reply to group.
My 1986 300e started making a high pitched whining noise which seemed
to come from the steering wheel area. However I soon figured out that if I turned on the turn signal indicator, either left or right, the noise stopped. Then I noticed the dash indicators measuring the fuel, temp, and oil all had died- registering nothing. I had just filled up the gas tank so I knew that one was wrong. Funny though, the fuel economy gauge worked fine.
Recent new battery and alternator regulator assembly which has new brushes.
I will check the fuse tonight.
Any other suggestions?
Incidentally I get a different buzz noise when a door is ajar or seat belt is not on - how many different buzzing sounds are there?
Thanks SSR
You are hearing a whine because you have a fuse out. Either fuse 5 or 6.

Thanks. That's exactly what it turned out to be. The fuse (No5) looked totally good until I tried to remove it then the two parts of the metal fell apart.