gas millage report

Hi folks,

On 25 miles range with the speed set to 55MPH I got 29.5MPG - on '00 E320 4Matic with 100k miles. And it was 89 octan gas.

Best regards, Andy

Reply to
AlFire

Be careful with fuel gauge, it can be misleading and that could cause you to misunderstand the true Mileage. I have been watching my MB and Infiniti fuel gauges for over two years now, they both seemed to have similar effect. A certain section of your fuel gauge could drop too faster, and another section will drop slowly. Make sure you put a note to remind yourself to compensate for the difference, and make sure you are familiar with its behavior. Change the section by testing your car at different needle position.

Reply to
Speeders & Drunk Drivers aren't MURDERERS

Do full tank and report back. Short distane means nothing.as you have some premium fuel left in the tank when you filled it up.

Reply to
Tiger

Tiger is absolutely right on this one. Gas gauges are not accurate enough to use for mileage. The only points in the travel that they have to be correct are at full and empty. And actually, now that I think about it, that's not even a true statement. They have to err on the safe side. Basically your gas guage has to read full when the tank is less than full. This prevents people from trying to overfill their tanks because they think it is not yet full. Unfortunately there are dampers in the circuit that cause the needle to take a while to get up there, so this rule is kind of moot, but then again most people don't fill their tanks like that anyways. The other point it has to be 'correct' is at empty. The gauge has to read empty before you are actually empty. If it says you have 1/8 tank and you run out of gas, that is bad. A few automakers--Mercedes and BMW are among them--have tried to put the remaining marking roughly where they should be. That is why the distance between 1/4 and empty is not the same as between

1/4 and 1/2, or even between 1/2 and 3/4. However, a point halfway between 1/4 and 1/2 on the gauge is most likely closer to one than the other. So trying to determine the amount of fuel used byusing a gas gauge is pretty difficult. Especially if you are only talking a small amount under a gallon in a car that can hold 15 to 20 gallons.

In general fuel gauges are precise if you are parked in the same spot(same orientation) and given enough time to settle, but definitely not accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott

My method was to use the computer. I reset it at the beginning of the distance and then it ended up with average MPG for the period. Not sure how accurate it is, but steady, slow driving without any sudden accelerations and braking yields decent MPG.

I noted it too with a great relief - provided you or on flat it matches computer indication as well the observed growing distance - 3/4 = 100 miles done, 1/2 = 200, 1/4 = 300 and empty tank = 400 miles when driving in similar conditions. I also like that the reserve light goes off exactly when the needle moves over the light.

All unthinkable with other cars.

Reply to
AlFire

How many miles have you driven the car with 89 octanes fuel without resetting the MPG gauge? Highway driving only?

Reply to
Tiger

highway only, 25 miles, average 29.5MPG. AFAIK my model of the car does not show the instant MPG. And remainings of higher octane in the tank were negligible since I did my experiment way long after the almost 100% fill up.

Reply to
AlFire