gasoline odor in 107 cockpit

Have just developed a strongish gasoline odor in the cockpit and can't seem to find the source; anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Jack Archambault

I'd check all your fuel lines in the engine compartment and by the gas tank for any leak.

Reply to
Tiger
1st place to look: Remove gas cap and turn over. Look at black gasket. Wet with gas and running down? 9 out of 10 are. Replace the cap with a NEW MB cap and replace the rubber seal ring around the neck where it exits the body. The gas is leaking past the cap, running down the neck, and entering the car thru the soft top compartment.

Reply to
Karl

Jack, Take this problem seriously, and don't drive it until you fix it. I had the same problem with my '73 SLC and it turned out to be deteriorated fuel hoses in the engine compartment. The first one to leak was the hose going to the cold start valve. It was difficult to find becuase it was a very small leak and the fuel was evaporating when the engine was hot.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Why is the driver's area called the COCKPIT?

There must be a reason.

Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Karl's response hit the nail on the head. Leaking around gas cap gasket; and fill pipe to body gasket pretty well shot as well. Thanks "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, drink in one hand, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

29 09.56N 082 10.13W
Reply to
Jack Archambault

Karl's answer is probably what your problem is. My 107 had the same smell evry time I filled the tank, my gas cap had a cork gasket (wet) and I changed to a rubber gasket cap and the smell went away. Also check the the overflow/vent tube is connected.

Reply to
dkmcp