Gear Shift Rattle 1999 E300TD

Lately I've noticed a gear shift rattle while driving at various speeds before 4th gear. The transmission shifts OK, but the rattle is starting to become a bit annoying. Does anyone know what could be cause it?
Also, four new Yokohama tires were put on last Dec. At about 10K miles, I attempted to rotate the tires and noticed that the tread wear of the right rear tire is extremely less than the others. Is this common? I've never seen this happen before.
It could be the transmission shift linkage bushings needs to be replaced.
As for rear right tire, no, not normal... it need to be fixed right away.
Thanks Tiger. I'll check the bushing to see if they need to be replaced. How often should the tranny be serviced?

Tranny should be serviced every 30,000 miles... I know you got alot more than this but I would say no more than 50,000 miles so there is a wide range of time to do the job.