glow plug kit for older mb 240d

I have a '79 MB 240d.

I am thinking of installing a glow plug kit, which to my understanding, will change the wiring of the glow plugs from series to parallel, replace the loop glow plug with a pencil type, and replace the relay.

Note: My MB is an older model with the loop type, large diameter glow plug.

Does anyone have experience, information etc. for this?

Is it difficult?

Jerry

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking dreams

Check Beru site; it may have the info that you seek.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

what I want to know is:

  1. What happens to my present glow plug relay? I have the one that is in the silver can, the older one, as I understand. My glow plugs are the large diameter, loup type, not pencil.

  1. How does the new relay fit in?

  2. What about the present wiring?

  1. How does the glow plug relay light function?

  2. Has anyone else put one of these in an older car, such as mine?

  1. my engine number, is I think, 12-092834, is there a different model kit for mine and which one is it?

  2. finally, Beru has nothing in regards to my model car.

thanks jerry

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking dreams

Since no one told me about their experience with the glow plug kit, I thought I would post mine.

I installed the glow plug kit Mercedes Benz 1979 Bosch Glow Plug Kit Price: $98.23 Qty: 1 Part #: F1101-88322

Had some problems, the instruction said to connect wiring to the fuse block terminals, 15, 31, and 50.

Could not find these terminals on fuse block, the Haynes manual did not list these numbers on fuse block.

However did find numbers listed on drawing of glow plug relay.

I had two relays for the car, one listed the numbers on the plug.

So I bought some pin plugs, attached them to the wiring and used the old glow plug relay plug.

The instruction say to place the new relay vertically, in a splash proof place. When I took the old wiring off, and removed the fuse on the fire wall, I put the new relay where the fuse had been, using that screw hole. I could also use the wire for the fuse to the #4 glow plug.

BTW the relay did not have bolts to attache the wiring from the battery and to the glow plub, they are #8 and #10 metric.

After installation, I turned tried.

Works great!!

3 seconds for plug to warm up, and it starts right up.

Took me about 2 hours, not including trip to hardware store for bolts and connectors.

J.