Glow plug on E300 not going off?

I have a '97 E300 Diesel. The "check engine" light comes on at start up and the glow plug light stays on a few minutes then goes out. Is there a simple
explanation and/or solution for this? I don't know if this is related, but at times the glow plug does not come on at all. Unlike my old SD, this car will not start without that light on, even with a warm engine. Any clues?
Hi Joel
Sounds like you have a glow plug down to me, these diesels are renowned for it.
Chief