Glow plugs question

Hello I'm getting ready to do the glow plugs on my wifes 86 300 sdl turbo is thier anything I should know before I start or tips..thanks will

You will need the reamer to clean out the glow plug chamber... it is a tool that goes in the same hole as the glow plug to clean out carbon buildup that is too close to the glow plug... which if it happens will kill the new glow plug sooner.
thank you i will look into getting one before i start

They're like $172 or something.
Oh... wait a minute... you got the pencil type glow plugs... you don't need that tool.... that tool is for those with loop glow plugs.

Eh I dunno. Nice to have but not essential if you do a decent amount of highway driving. I've never bothered and have 500,000 miles on my OM617.

I've never worked on a 6, just the 5's. But with the 5's if you remove the fuel rails you save at least half an hour of hard to reach fiddly bits.
http://articles.mbz.org/engine/diesel/plugs /
thanks for that link...very helpful do I have to relieve pressure from the fuel line before I take the rail off?

No.
I've twirled a 1/4 inch (metal) drill bit in the cavity to cut the carbon - just use your fingers to twirl it. Works fine.
permission.