Glow plugs question

Hello I'm getting ready to do the glow plugs on my wifes 86 300 sdl turbo is thier anything I should know before I start or tips..thanks will

Reply to
will

You will need the reamer to clean out the glow plug chamber... it is a tool that goes in the same hole as the glow plug to clean out carbon buildup that is too close to the glow plug... which if it happens will kill the new glow plug sooner.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
will

I've never worked on a 6, just the 5's. But with the 5's if you remove the fuel rails you save at least half an hour of hard to reach fiddly bits.

Richard Sexton

Eh I dunno. Nice to have but not essential if you do a decent amount of highway driving. I've never bothered and have 500,000 miles on my OM617.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

They're like $172 or something.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Reply to
will

No.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Oh... wait a minute... you got the pencil type glow plugs... you don't need that tool.... that tool is for those with loop glow plugs.

Reply to
Tiger

I've twirled a 1/4 inch (metal) drill bit in the cavity to cut the carbon - just use your fingers to twirl it. Works fine.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Thanks for the tips everyone has been very helpful "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
will