GM to recall 1.5 million autos

Agence France-Presse First Posted 16:53:00 04/14/2009
WASHINGTON -- Troubled US automaker General Motors has informed watchdogs it will have to recall close to 1.5 million cars amid concerns they could
catch fire, local media reported.
Television network CNN said the firm had reported a potential fuel leak in some autos built between 1997 and 2003.
The recall includes certain models from GM's Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.
The Detroit-based firm -- which already faces bankruptcy proceedings -- said the fault could see oil leak on the exhaust manifold during hard braking.
On March 30, the US government gave GM, which has received $13.4 billion in public aid, 60 days to come up with an aggressive restructuring plan to be eligible for further aid the company says it needs to avoid collapse.
------ For only 4% of a hybrid cost, OFS can turn any vehicle into a hybrid-like vehicle. It's called Fuel-Efficiency Tune-up. It increases gas mileage and horse power. Making the right choice today will save you lots of moneys for many years to come.. http://www.extra150miles.com
| | WASHINGTON -- Troubled US automaker General Motors has informed watchdogs | it will have to recall close to 1.5 million cars amid concerns they could | catch fire, local media reported. | | Television network CNN said the firm had reported a potential fuel leak in | some autos built between 1997 and 2003.
Snip - Snip - Snip
It is an OIL LEAK not a FUEL LEAK!
GM recalls about 1.5 million cars: reports 7:16a ET April 14, 2009 (MarketWatch) NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- General Motors Corp. is recalling almost 1.5 million cars made between 1997 and 2003 because of possible engine fires, according to media reports Tuesday. The recall includes 1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigues, 1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1997-2003 Buick Regals and 1998-2003 Chevrolet Luminas, Monte Carlos and Impalas, the reports said. The problem is related to the potential for oil drops to fall into the exhaust system and trigger a fire in the 3.8-liter V6 engine.
--
Steve Spence
Independent AMSOIL Dealer

Are you sure Steve? "Fuel Leak" sounds right because I heard GM was concerned about their cars could catch due to fuel leaks near exhaust pipe. That's what I heard on a radio. I think GM is right about that.
GasSaver.
    It's an 'oil' leak guys. the oil could drip onto the exhaust pipe and cause a 'small' fire which in turn could ignite some plastic nearby. The fix is easy and cheap .... lousy timing though isn't it
cheers

If that's the case then I wouldn't worry about oil catching fire, because fuel is sensitive to heat, lubricant oil won't ignite at temperature below 400 degree C, besides air is cooling off your exhaust pipe. Exhaust pipe's temperature can't be more than engine temperature (85C - 90C), even if you double engine temperature on an exhaust pipe, lubricant oil still won't ignite. Because the temperature is not near the oil's ignition point (flash point).
cheers.

hm not sure about, that I've had motorbike exhausts cherry-red, that's more like 700C and I'm pretty sure flashpoint of hydraulic fluid is much less than that - I do recall an issue with some Vauxhall's (are or were part of GM) 5 - 10 years back where the (plastic) brake master-cylinder could detach in a front-ender, land on the manifold and 'explode' ? cheers
Yes, Vauxhall = GM, but who knows for how much longer? GM has just announced its intention to spin its European interests (Opel/Vauxhall) off.
DAS
"news" < snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:XzJGl.45271$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.ams...