GPS maps go with owner?

I'm buying a 2000 S500, and its previous owner told me that I'll have to arrange for new maps for the GPS. He was vague (not very technically minded), but he implied that the GPS maps are tied to the
owner and not the car. This doesn't make any sense to me, unless he took the DVD maps out of the car for his new one. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!
Dev
I would say that the DVD goes with the car. What's he going to do with them? It never crossed my mind to take the DVD with me when I trade in my 2005 S430 (for the new S550).
Unless you really want his car, tell him that no DVD, no deal.
Ricky

That definitely does not make sense. Fairly often that DVD will become useless because of outdatedness of the map and incompatability with new navigation system.
Also, how old are the maps? Would one not wish to buy new ones if the old ones are, say, 3 years old and superseded?
DAS
"Tiger" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.comn> wrote in message
news:PPNqg.1$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.lga...
Exactly. Besides, these map CDs are less than $30 on eBay. Has me baffled.