Groaning Noise From Steering Wheel on 1989 560SEL

Feb 4th 2004

I've recently noticed a 'groaning' noise (on my 1989 560SEL only 45k) that seems to be coming from the steering wheel when I turn it, especially at lower speeds, i.e.. like pulling into the driveway. I thought it would be a lack of steering fluid, but the wheel doesn't seem to be "heavier" just makes the noise, regardless when I looked under the hood the fluid reservoir located close to the wall separating the engine compartment from the cab looked full (i.e. filled to the MAX mark) but another fluid reservoir close to the front on the car (marked HYDRAULIC) is about half way down. Question is Could the low level of fluid be responsible for the noise? Would the wheel not also be heavy if it was a lack of fluid? What fluid is the right type to put in? Any other thoughts come to mind before I take the car in for the MB techs to look at it?

Thanks Sonny

Reply to
Sonny B.

top off the reservoir and see if the noise goes away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

I have read that it is cured by greasing the rubber grommet where steering shaft exits car body. Post back when problem is fixed.

-Kent

Reply to
Kent_Diego