Had to repair my Alternator on a 2001 CLK Kompressor

I bought this car, immaculate condition, full service history & it had done 90,000 km for a 3 1/2 year old car. Anyways, last week, the alternator failed & i had an electrical failure.. took it to my
mercedes guy who proceeded to tell me a new one would cost $2000 (australian for a new alternator) so he got it repaired for $600! either or sounds expensive, and im shocked that the alternator failed after just 3 1/2 years... 6 months outside of factory warranty.. can anyone give advice, any way of getting mercedes to reimburse me, or is it just BAD luck?
Dan
Mercedes reimburse you!!??? Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa!!!!!
You GOTTTA be kidding!!!
Davehd

Sheesh,to think I bitched and moaned about spending $200 for my alternator on W116. $2000??????? That is some messed up crap there,not that it failed but that price!
i ended up getting my alternator repaired/ parts replaced etc... costed $600 plus labour... better than 2 k i guess, thats the costs of driving a benz