Halogen to Xenon

Does anyone know what would be involved in changing from Halogen to Xenon on a 1997 e320?

I see the lights available, but thought I read about a ballast (or something else) being required as well

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bleau

You need to read up on the generic conversion. Its not as simple as it appears.

Yes there is a 20,000 volt ballast that goes behind the bumper in each corner. The lights slip in but then there are several problems.

- Beam alignment needs to be done so that the light point forward and not up or down.

- The onboard ECU needs to be told it is a Xenon fitted car.

- there is no washer on the bumper (I might be wrong) so it doesnt comply strictly with that requirement

- the vacuum level adjustment for towing doesnt have a linkage, so if your rear is squat then the lamps will point into the eyes of other drivers.

Having said that ..... the linkage can be made to work, so that you do at least have attitude control.

have a read of this .......

Miro

Reply to
OniIsan

Make sure you read it a few times before you launch into it.

Reply to
Miro

The problem is the o.e. reflector. H.I.D. headlights have very different reflectors with a different pattern. Your o.e. headlights are designed for halogen lighting. The conversion kits do not have newly designed reflectors for Bosch, o.e., Mercedes headlights. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

Best way is to swap out the unit from the later model W210 that has xenon headlamp... Bekker Import carries the euro spec HID unit.

Reply to
Tiger