hard starting, continued

Tiger, as it turns out it isn't the fuel mixture. If I leave the key at ignition for a minute, then the car will start right up, so something is leaking somewhere. Any ideas on where it could be (it wasn't doing this before the fuel distributor change). Thanks, Richard

Reply to
marlin

And no hard starting when engine is hot?

Reply to
Tiger

"marlin" wrote in news:IvIGc.30580 $ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

So possibly the Coil(s) - dead and take ages to build up a charge. Or if the dizzy has one - the condensor? Is there an electric fuel pump? - might be dead and need ages to prime itself.

hrmmm - what a strange thing.

Reply to
splam

Reply to
marlin

Ahh... definitely the accumulator is bad in your case. Since you did your fuel distributor... Was there hard hot start before you redid your fuel distributor? If yes, then definitely accumulator... if no, then fuel distributor is at fault... easy fix though.

By the way, Starting on my car is instantaneous when you turn to start... no delay.

Reply to
Tiger

Why'd you have to say that? Now that means I have to send it back to german star, get a replacement under warranty (and who knows what kind of hoops I'll have to jump through for that. They'll probably expect me to flip for shipping. And there's probably no way that I'll be able to get my $152 in labor back (not to mention there will be more labor charge to get this one out, and then put in the replacement. I might be better off just buying a voltmeter and a 3mm allen wrench). Oh well, suppose I'll just skip lunch for a while. All I know is, you can be sure I'll probably never buy from german star again. Now I know why they were the cheapest. Richard - feeling the headache coming

Reply to
marlin

Well Marlin, I don't want you to spend money needlessly as I know you spent a ton on the fuel distributor already... There are two possibilities that can go wrong in the event of hard starting.

First is the compensator valve.... on the top of fuel distributor... there is a hex nut or torx nut... where we have that 'hump' and it is along the line of it.

First, relieve the system pressure...then take off that nut... andI think there is a spring inside... then there is a tiny piston with a oring on it. To get the piston out... you need a small screwdriver to coax it out. Change that o-ring.

The other one is harder and more sensitive to do... but do the top one first and see what happens.

Reply to
Tiger