Haunted Wipers, C220D

My 1994 C220D has started to go into "intermittent" wipe mode when I'm indicating to turn right, and worryingly, yesterday did it when not indicating. Not what you wnat when your
driving at night with bugsplat all over the windscreen!
Whatd'ya reckon? Worn out switch where the stork meets the collumn, or trouble with the wierd and wonderful relays? Need to know what to look for before I take things to bits or buy new parts.
Thanks in anticipation,
Mr Davo