Having my Mercedes Repainted......

I am brainstorming the option of having my 89 300E, 113,000 miles repainted. My father gave me the car and a lot of work has been done to it. THe color is black and looks decent, when its wet or at night or from

15 ft away. I ordered this special type of belgium, european polish and wax. I washsed the car, polished it and waxed it, the car looks great now, but in the sun you seel some minor blemishes and a few chip marks. My uncle said to leave it the way it is and jsut drive it, (as im still in college). He said maaco could never do as good as a job and MB did at their plant. Any input?
Reply to
Chuckyg

He is totally right about that; noplace that gives you the $300 special will ever be able to match Mercedes paint. I have been considering a repaint of my black '95 S-class, and have been collecting quotes in the $7,000-$10,000 range. And even then it won't be as good as the factory.

While an '89 300E is not as big as an S, a fair price to expect for a near-factory-quality repaint on that car is probably in the $4,500+ range.

If you wanted to go a bit cheaper, maybe a $3,000 job would suffice, but anything below that will ruin the car. Within a year the paint will probably be falling off.

An '89 300E is a really, really great car; truly a classic, and if properly maintained, it'll last forever. If you can't afford to have it painted properly right now, then just keep it waxed and polished, and enjoy it.

Thomas J. Paladino Jr. New York City

04 S430 04 E320 99 SLK230 95 S320
Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

Try this first:

Richard Sexton

Bah. You dity fellers, I dwear.

There's an old Bavarian guy up in Landsdown Ontario, about 7 hours from you that will strip a car properly, prep and prime with epoxy primer ($300/gal) then shoot Glasurit color and clearcoat in a downdraft booth for $2500 CDN.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Gawd. Not enough coffee. "You city fellas, I swear."

Rolf's # is +1 (613) 659-3766

Great guy, great snese of humor. Came to Canada on vacation

30 years ago, began doing body work on german cars as was his trade in Germany, got bust, never went back. He also wrenches, too. Knows the old cars like few other people.
Reply to
Richard Sexton

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in news:VMBcc.10014$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

Just curious - what line of work are you in that you can utilize 4 cars in the City?

Reply to
ArchieLeach

I do marketing & PR for a large financial services firm. The S320 is actually for sale, though I haven't exactly been a 'motivated seller'; the plan was to get rid of it when I got the new S, but I just love that car so damn much that I've been really picky about who to sell it to. Unfortunately it was keyed recently (not horribly, but still), therefore my hunt for paint shops. The S430 is my car, good for driving clients around and such, and my girlfriend/fiance drives the E320. The SLK is the summer car. I keep it out at my family's house in the Hamptons usually, particuarly over the winter, because it's not really worth keeping in manhattan until the weather gets nicer. I plan to trade it up to the new-style SLK as soon as they arrive.

Reply to
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

I am having mine painted. don't know if I should go with 87 (black with sparkles or just Black.) I am letting MB do it.

funny the sales man made a Macco comment. its more expensive but worth it.

Reply to
OniIsan

name and number please....

what cars have you seen him do?

$7,000-$10,000

Reply to
OniIsan

Reply to
OniIsan

Hello,

We had dilemma involving our European 1977 450SEL (W116) and metallic green (not dark, but somewhat light). The car had been resprayed on the horizontial surface prior to our 1982 purchase. We brought it to Dallas where the sun and temperature were very brutal. We could see the result of poor respray job as they are the first one to fade away and turn a bit dusty (you could pick up the speckles when rubbing the paint). The vertical surface remained in good condition.

The excellent shop quoted $4.500,? for the complete respray job which was quite expensive in 1985. Since we loved that Mercedes-Benz very much, we proceed with complete respray job along with application of improved rust protection and undercoating.

The investment and additional rust protection proved their value after my parents shipped their 450SEL back to Germany. We have yet to see another W116 that is not pitted and blotched with rust in Germany.

Our 450SEL remains rust-free and splendid after its return to Germany. However, the escalating road taxation and registration cost along with ageing motor conspired us to 'retire' the car. We are planning to rebuild many mechanical components in the coming time.

Oliver

Chuckyg wrote:

Reply to
Ennui Society

Some cheap guys put 1 pack paint on it. Make sure the painter use 2 pack paint.

k-beast E14.

Reply to
admin

Not being cheap, I prefer 6 pack paint. ;-)

Reply to
Joe Rutledge