Headbeam wipers

I have recently bought a 1990 300SE. It has front headbeam wipers. How are they activated. Someone tells me that they come on automaticall?? Thanks Mike

When the headlamps are switched on, and the windshield washer is activated.

are
turn on the head lamps and wipe the spray the wind screen.

are
When you activate the spritzer to clean your windshield, the headlight wipers turn on at the same time. P.

are
Three different answers, three different cars? I certainly don't believe that a washer comes on when switching the headlights on.
Can't comment directly as I only have a 'spritzer' which does not require wipers. (It operates when I hit a specific button.)
DAS

    Mike, they activate when Wipers and Headlights are both on. Seems reasonable in retrospect, no?
regards
I've got a '97 C-280 Sport. The headlight wipers operate only when the lights are on, and you hit the windshield washer. Otherwise the just sit there and look mysterious. Bill

How
You will never see them working unless you jump out of your car after initiating the spritzer function to clean your windshield and run to the front of the car before the cycle is over. P.

are