headlight conversion

I have a 2000 S class (W220) that I want to put the newer style (2003+) projector headlights in. The wiring does not fit the newere lights and I want to know the best way to accomplish the task. Can I buy an adaptor or
will the lights have to be custom installed? If nayone has done this befoer, please let me know the best way to do it. Thank you.
What does the main dealer garage say?
DAS
"2213" < snipped-for-privacy@outreachcom.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
Alot of time you just need to get a different empty plug at the dealer and rearrange your wires to work with new headlight.

Not on a 126. The connectors are really cool in that you can pop open the plastic shell, move the (real) silver pins around and change the configuration of the connector. I converted my 126 300Sd to E code lights and to flush glass ones later and both tiems simply rearranged the connector pins. Way cool.
The headlamps with diffused lenses has HID for the dipped beam only. That one uses halogen bulb for main beam.
The headlamps with projector lenses has HID for both dipped and main beam. That one has a provisional flap inside the projector assembly to alternate between dipped and main beam. When the HID bulb is switched on, the flap drops down electrically to effect the main beam. If the HID bulb is switched off and the driver wishes to flash the main beam, the halogen main beam is used.
You can see why the wiring is different. The relays and switches are different between these two headlamp assemblies. You will need to replace these in order to make the projector-type work correctly.
I have not looked at both assemblies to see if they use same bulb or not. D2S and D2R are different in notches and bases. D2R has a ceramic coating acting as shield while D2S doesn't have.
I am told that the headlamps and taillamps are intentionally made different as to prevent the retrofit of new 'look' onto older W220, yet I cannot confirm it.