Help, brakes & bearings...

RE: 98 ML320

I need a little help, in ordering all the right parts, please!

I have a very experienced mechanic that's willing to do a few repairs for me( and save me the trek to my regular guy)

This mechanic, btw, is an excellent Volvo mechanic, who's done my Volvo's for nearly 17 years.

Anyway, there is a slight scraping sound, which he diagnosed as front passenger side bearing.

If I get all the parts, he'll install. And at same time, do all 4 brakepads.

Where is a good place to order everything. and what exactly is everything?

With pads for instance, he told to get all the pads, and at the same time get the sensors. (my car only has front sensors???)

Also, with bearings, he wants all the clips, etc, (he might not need the back plate, but definitely everything else..)

Advice please on what to order, and where???

Thank you!

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Autohausaz.com is great source for your wheel bearings and standard brakepads... Mintex is the better deal... otherwise for the price of the others' I'd rather get the Akebono

However, if you want a better brake pad with no dust then I'd recommends you get the Akebono brake pads... they come with the sensors so you don't need to buy anymore. Akebono and all the other parts both can be ordered at rockauto.com

With Akebono, you need to double check with Akebono to find out which front and rear pads you need... and then ask rockauto if they have the rear pad with the part numbers from Akebono. You will need your VIN

As for wheel bearings, buy the kit rather than separately. and do both front wheels rather than just one side.

Reply to
Tiger

Hi,

I've had a front wheel bearing fail on a previous car, it made more of a rumbling sound that was more pronounced at a certain speed (I've been told that this speed can vary) than at others. A scraping sound is usually (not always) a brake pad. Usually as the car is being stopped and again as the car starts to move again and can usually be felt thru the brake pedal.

Make sure there are no loose or rubbing parts that can cause any noise

- sometimes bent inner fenders or plastic skirting can rub moving parts.

If it were me, I would do the brake job first, and then drive it to check for the noise you are noticing.

Usually a decent auto parts store will be able to get the parts for you. Sometimes they even have an exploded view of the assembly in question as an ordering aid - which at the very least lets you know how your stuff goes together.

Hope this info helps.

Reply to
biodieselbob

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

As a side note, I'd be a little bit concerned getting the car fixed like this. The mechanic should at least have given you a list of the parts he needs. He didn't and you are unclear on what exactly he needs. I can see this potentially leading to problems and finger pointing. Not a good approach to doing business, IMO.

Reply to
trader4

Got the bearing kit.. includes bearing and 'c' type clamp...

Is there anything else.. dust rings, etc???

Mechanic asked...

Thanks!

Tiger wrote:

Reply to