Help! Brakes won't pump up on my 1986 190E

Page 2 of 2
Tiger wrote:

Thanks for trying to help us out, I really appreciate this! I can't ask my husband right now about the MB, he's cat napping, but what he told me was the coil spring bracket is busted and all rusted out, it's causing the right side to sit down on the tire pretty close, he took it out for a test drive after my last post and when he got back he said it was really rubbing on the tire now, said you could smell rubber burning, we paid $281.00 for it on eBay, got it just the other day and hubby just put in a MC $95.00, some new brake pads $15.00, and a new head light $9.00. The car really doesn't look that bad, that's why we thought it was a good deal and be good enough to putt around in, hubby said the car wasn't sitting down like that the other day, but now it is and he said that stuff is busted and rusted, hope this makes some kind of sense, anyway thanks for trying to help, I was hoping something could be rigged up so it could be driven, but once again hubby doesn't think so, but I don't give up easy I guess....When he wakes up I'll tell him what you said about the spring should have popped out, but it is sitting down on the tire pretty close and rubbing it also?? Not good I guess?
Thanks Again for your time! M&M
M&M wrote:

Oh, I forgot ... we are located in Ohio
Ahh... Ohio... Look at it this way... $281 is dirt cheap. No doubt about it. The spring does sound pretty bad and I believe him... it must be really bad to make him say not worth it. If you had a mechanic do the repair... he would replace the lower control arm... you need internal spring compressor to do the job... The spring is the most dangerous part of the job... other is fairly easy.
The good news is that that car is worth more than $281... People would want it for parts. You don't have to sell piece by piece (which would yield alot more money)... you could sell the whole car for like $1100 for the whole car. It has good engine... good tranny... maybe okay interior... etc...
I have an 88 190e... part car... but in NJ... which you can use alot out of it... but heck not worth the travel.
Tiger wrote:

Yes, that's what my husband wants to do, resell it, but we just bought it and I really didn't want to hassel with it, and I also wanted to post this problem to see if anyone had any suggestions, never know what someone else might come up with, maybe a trick or something they did to fix something like this, never hurts to try. But thanks again for your help and info, do you think we should relist the MB on eBay or go a different route? I liked the little car only had it a few days, but better not try to tackle this job, maybe we'll be able to resell it, hope so! Thanks again for all you time.... you've been very helpful.
Kind Regards, M&M