HELP! HELP! HELP! Belts Are Not Turning on 300SD while motor is running

Motor Runs but no pulleys or belts are turning . Where do I start to fix this? Help on this will be GREATLY appreciated.--NW

Sorry I Meant 300D not SD , but it does have a turbo diesel . Its a 1984 model if that helps.--NW
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:21 -0400, nw <> wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:21 -0400, nw <> wrote:

Sounds like the key that keys the damper pulley to the crankshaft is broken and the crankshaft turns inside the damper pulley.
Oops... I shot my message before I saw your specification... I would say start with that big main pully on the bottom of your engine... check for bolts that might have been removed... etc.
It would help if you specified what car you got. If you got a one big wide belt, then I'd start with your tensioner.
Well, I took the radiator, belts and fan off and discovered the pulley bolt and whatever resides in the crankshaft pulley are all gone. So the end of the crankshaft was just spinning in the pulley. Now my question is this . What all is missing? I know the bolt is, but what did it hold in place to lock it to the crankshaft. This is a 1984 300d turbo , can someone direct me to a schematic or furnish me one. None of my manuals describe the crankshaft from the pulley out. And if anyone knows where I may purchase the items I need please LMK. This group has been a tremendous help in the past . TIA--nw
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:21 -0400, nw <> wrote:

Seems like I'd remember to change my header , doesn't it? Well the car in question is a 300D (turbo)NOT 300SD. TIA--NW
OK ! Now I got a pulley bolt ,washer and dowels ordered. All of $15 in parts. I had mechanics look at pix of the crankshaft end and they physically inspected my harmonic balancer . I guess I left them scratchng their heads. As no damage was done to either. We can only figure whomever worked on the crankshaft last failed to torque it down (they told me to torque it 275 ft/lbs) and it backed out via vibration. if anybody has another idea as to what happened please feel free to speculate..The one thing that is really odd is that the harmonic balancer sheered both dowels in half . I guess without the bolt they are useless.--NW
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:38:58 -0400, nw <> wrote:

You still need the dowels... you have to drill out the old one and press in a new one.
Just go to the dealer and they can print out a schematic of parts you need.
I've been away from the group since July. I had the same problem with my 1983 300D - You need the dowels. $4.00 part or you can't drive the car.
Pacman

need.