help. HT turn off auto sound on Bose

I just inherited a 2002 ML320 (my mom decided to get a 2004 Lexus GX470 instead) and i've noticed that the Bose stereo (argh) does the auto volume thing, which is driving me insane. i'd rather the volume
stay the same when i come to a stop, thank you. I can't figure out how to turn that feature off.
help?
thanks in advance, -goro-
Yeah, I hate it too! Bad enough the Bose system is over-rated and over-priced, but getting off the highway drops the volume enough that I have to turn it back up. Also, if my windows are open and I get a good gush of air while say, stopped at a light, the volume jumps up to ear splitting and highly distorted levels.
I asked my service writer and she said there wasn't a way to disable it. However, someone in this newsgroup once posted a solution that mentioned cutting a blue wire somewhere (I know this isn't much help). Problem is I thought I filed the response and apparently I didn't. Perhaps a google newsgroup search will yield the answer.
I've just grown used to it.
RichieP

thanx. another case of "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" damn, i hate when you get "features" that you can't turn off! damb bastidges. oh well...
btw, any info (links) on adding xm to the system? i see that there's a cassette player behind the screen; i wonder if I could replace that with (a) a singld cd player (so i don't have to go into the trunk and pull out the changer just to listen to a new cd, or (b) an xm receiver?
-goro-

I take it the Merc dealership has confirmed you can't turn feature off?
Complain to the Merc HQ in your country.
DAS

The cassette player cannot be removed as it is an integral part of the MCS unit. However, you can add a CD player to the MCS in the blank space above the cassette. That's assuming you don't have the NAV option, in which case you already have a CD or possibly a DVD-ROM reader there which will also play audio CD's. You can have this dealer installed, or if you want to DIY, it is available at www.clairparts.com for $350. The DIY install is very easy. It helps to have the blade-style tool for removing the MCS which can be purchased from the dealer for a very reasonable price, or fashioned from a hacksaw blade. Even so, you may still have to visit the dealer to have the system "coded" to recognize the new player.
I installed an aftermarket DVD entertainment system and used a cassette adapter to pipe the audio through the MCS. It actually works quite well. I did remove the blank panel above the cassette player to route the wire behind the MCS so that the screen closes flush. It is possible to route a thin wire out the front at the upper corner of the screen, but it does not look as neat as it being hidden behind the dash.
I know that there is some OEM method of connecting the Sirius satellite receiver to the MCS because it is a dealer option. however, I do not know if it requires an upgrade (either physical or electronic) to the MCS. I would check with a reputable dealer.
--

- RODNEY

Thx Rodney, that's great info you got there. appreciate it.
-goro-
On 1 Jun 2004 15:18:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Goro) wrote:

I thought I heard somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that the DB change for this feature was adjustable at the dealership. They might not be able to make it zero, but maybe adjust it low enough to make the change inaudible.