help! Mercedes E190 '93

Hi Guys

New here due to the fact that I have a perplexing problem that one car shop can't seem to fix and I've sunk in major $$$ already.. Don't feel like sinking anymore $$ until I can have an inkling from the advice of the experienced Mercedes owners out here on this newsgroup...

Here's the problem:

When I cold start my E190 2.3 L 1993 vehicle, the idle running of the engine would be fine... however, after driving for about 5-10 minutes around town and stopping the engine and then restarting, the idling would be erratic and will stop running immediately after startup. I have to give it steady gas for about 2-4 mins before the idling speed would be running constant at around 6-7000 rpm.

I've had this problem since mid 2002 and brought it into the shop (they specialize in European cars) at that time... they thought it might be my fuel injector being dirty and so I spent over $1300 to get that changed (labour included) and it's still doing the same thing after being "fixed"... at that time after getting the car back, I didn't want to spend anymore $$ for them to take a look at it and so I asked them to increase the idle speed to around 10,000 rpm so that when the engine gets really warm, the idle speed would fall to around 6000-7000rpm and not to 0rpm.

Well, this held for awhile until lately when it started again... it seems like the idle speed is flatening out at around 7k rpm and when the engine gets really warm, it'd fall to 0.

Does my problem sound familiar to someone who had experienced this and solved it? Does oil pressure have anything to do with it? The reason is that I've noticed that whenever the idling goes to near zero, the oil pressure almost always was below the "1" bar instead of the steady "2" bar (while gasing, the bar would be at the highest "3" bar)..

Thanks!

R Green Technical Support

-------------------- WoWsat.com

--------------------

Reply to
R Green - WoWsat.com

Hi Mr Green ....

Sound like what I am going thru' now .....

Be very careful when you do adjustment to you 'bowen' cable near the trottle valve. ...

Turn anti-clock to tighten and the other way to lossen .... remember the number of round you turn , this will help you fine tune to the correct setting. Do not over tighten .... the engine will choak and stall .... try out diffierent number of turns and then get someone to re-tune the idle speed to abt 700 rpm ....

It maybe a broken bowen cable too .....

I am still fine tuning mine ....

Hope this helps ...

The Bee

Reply to
The Bee

Any ideas on how much those "bowen" cables cost? I hate to sink in more $$... Someone suggested that it might be O2 sensor... gosh... gosh, dunno how much one of those babies will cost!

R Green Technical Support

Reply to
R Green - WoWsat.com