HELP! My engine won't shut off on 83 300d

Greetings.

Could anybody please give me a hint why my engine on a 1983 300D Turbo Diesel will not shut off after I take my ignition key out. (and lock the doors from the outside.)

The vacuum seems to be allright. I had this problem before because my door lock vacuum element was broken, and replaced it. This time all the locks work and I seem to have enough vacuum all along the system. I don't suspect it's the pump either, because I ran a simple test on it. The doors would not lock from the outside when I had the problem with the door lock controlling vacuum element.

Could this problem be caused because I started the car a few times by rolling in neutral, and shifting it into gear? If this is the case, what should I replace?

If possible, and not too much to ask, please respond to my e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thank you all. All and any reply is appreciated.

Reply to
kovi

The engine's shut down device is vacuum powered; its bellows may have worn out and is leaking and won't hold vacuum. The device is on the aft end of the injection pump and has a brown vacuum line attached. Lube oil in that line tells you the shut down device needs to be replaced - by an experienced M-B mechanic. Part is about $30 - 50 plus one hour labor.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

You just need a shut-off valve. Inexpensive and easily replaced.

Ron

German Star

You just need a shut-off valve. Inexpensive and easily replaced.

Ron

German Star

Thank you all for your reply. I have located and tested this "vacuum box" successfully. My test indicates that it needs to be replaced. Do I have to remove the fuel injection pump to change this shutdown vacuum valve, or can I work around it somehow?

Reply to
kovi