Help Needed Releasing 380sl Soft Top Hatch Lid

The passenger side of the softtop hatch suddenly refuses to open when I push down on the lever that normally opens it. I assume it's because something in the mechanism broke or went out of adjustment.
I was hoping someone here could tell me how to get the hatch open, so I can repair it.
Thanks a lot in advance.