Help pulling w126 engine (380se)

Well I bit the bullet and am trying to pull my w126 V8 (380se) engine. Need to do valve work, timing cover coming off and transmission seals and I thought it would be easier to work on if it were out.

But problems - Got everything disconnected but _cannot_ figure out how to disconnect the front exhaust section from the header. There are two bolts holding the flange together but one of them is absolutely impossible to get to. The book says "remove the exhaust system" (not very helpful). I'm wondering if the front exhaust section comes out with the engine?

Or maybe I'm supposed to remove the headers first? But that also looks pretty much impossible on the right side where the header meets the front exhaust section there is no flexable coupling that can be removed.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Regards, Richard (willirl)

Reply to
Richard