Help, Tiger!

Some time ago, you told me which way to turn the vacuum adjustment on the transmission of my 86 560SEC to soften the shift. Sad to say, I have forgotten. Can you post again?

Reply to
Bill Bunn

Let me go one step more than telling you how.

That vacuum modulator is basically a valve... like your outdoor faucet.... when you go clockwise, you close off the water. In the car, you reduce the vacuum to the transmission... making shifting more firmer.

Counterclockwise is opening up the faucet so more water go out... same thing in the vacuum modulator... more vacuum and making the shifting more smoother.

In any case, too firm is uncomfortable as it might snap your neck... just kiddin... and too smooth will let your transmission slip more and wear out faster... so you need to find the middle.

There you go!

Reply to
Tiger