Help with engine ID

Today I picked up a 'free' Mercedes engine. Folks moving, and needed to get rid of it. They said it was out of an SL, but other than that didn't know much
about it (belonged to their Dad, since passed away).
I've got a '73 SLC, so I thought it might be good to have some spare parts. After unloading it, I noticed a couple of things that are different. The biggie is that its got mechanical fuel injection, not electronic like my SLC. It has a smog pump, so I figure it must be post 1973. Cast iron block and aluminum heads. Valve covers appear to be the same as my SLC. Another difference is the size of the intake plenum. Its easily 50% larger than my 450 engine.
Other than the things I mentioned, its identical to my 450 engine.
Could this be a 560 engine? Did the SL's or SLC's ever use mechanical FI? I didn't think so, but this is the only Mercedes I've owned, so I'm no expert.
Steve
350 V-8?
There must be an engine number on its block - left side.
This is a 4.5L engine because the 3.8L, and 5.6L engines have aluminum engine blocks. It probably is a 1976 4.5L engine because electric injection was updated to mechanical continuous fuel injection type in 1976. Also the engine oil sump pan was a one piece sump in the SL, and was a two piece in the SLC, and the SEL models. The valve covers on the 3.8L, and 5.6L are different than the 4.5L, they have designs on the top of the covers where the 4.5L is plain looking.
mdsimon80 wrote:

Do you know if the E 320 has mechanical or electrical? It's a 2002 4-Matic.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pull the heads today to see if the cylinders are damaged. At the very least I'll get a lot of good parts, and hopefully a pair of heads to stash away.
Steve

The cylinder heads on these engines are pretty much bullet proof. I have not seen anything in the way of excessive warpage. The camshafts, camshaft rockers, and the camshaft sprockets are things to inspect on both engines. If the valves are bent from a broken chain, both the valves and the valve guides are replaceable. These engines are so tough that even after the chain brakes and pistons hit the valves and put marks in the top of the pistons the heads can be repaired and bolted back on. I believe you will have the following parts from the heads that can be transferred to you engine. Camshafts, camshaft rockers, cam towers, chain sprokets, and oil tubes mounted above the towers. The valve guides and oil seals seem to cause the most problems with these engines. The valve guides ware and even new valve stem seals will not remedy the oil consumption problem. Depending on the way the intake and exhaust ports are located it could be possible to simply swap heads when this oil consumption problem happens to your present engine. Have fun.

The 560 engine is alloy, not iron. Big? large plenum?
Sounds like a 6.3 engine.