hood release on '85 MB 300D

The inside release on my 300D is not broken, but it pulls all the way back and the hood doesn't pop. This is obviously something of a problem. can anyone tell me how to get the hood open without using the
release? thank you.

push back the release lever. Change the release cable before you close the hood/bonnet.
I can see the latch behind the grill but cant seem to spring it by pushing, prying, or rotating..vertical cylinder in front of latch. specifics?
It's cold and dark here right now. In the morning I'll look and maybe have something more specific. Perhaps some else could comment.

There is a black plastic plate covering the latch mechanism. An anti-theft deterant. I have been known to have to destroy the hood star base and remove it to open a late 123 hood......