How are the Diesel models?

Page 2 of 2
Of course, but it's fun to reminisce about the slow-coaches. Plus, as you can see, quite a few people still have them.
And the engines are probably more robust because less sophisticated.
Modern diesels and petrol engines are hard tell apart in the driving.
As I have probably said before, a 1.9 l td in a small car like an Alfa Romeo 147... beautiful (to look at and drive).
http://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/cgi-bin/pbrand.dll/ALFAROMEO_UK/home.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=no
DAS
On 14.07.2007 10:30, yard gnome wrote:

I have a W210 E220 CDI Automatic for two weeks now and it's using 8liters / 100km in the city and 5.8 on mixed highway and country road so far. I'm pretty pleased because that's not much for a car of that size. It's not very quiet but actually I like that Diesel sound. :-)
Kind regards
    robert
They are the best. The newer the diesel, the better they drive as far as the performance is concerned. I have 1995 E300D myself. It is a great car and great size for me.
I know people say the old 5 cylinders are the most reliable but by now, most of those have already exceeded 200,000 miles where there are major expenses to bring it back to spec and that they are 20 years old or older.
The MB diesel to avoids are the 350SDL of 1988 to 91 and those diesels in the W140 body... 1992 to the end of S class offering of diesels... Not all of them are bad as I suspected most of them are rebuilt by now... but just watch out.
I would highly recommends the 1998 and 1999 E300TD... they are great... power and economy. If you could afford the CDI's that would be great too... just make sure you buy extended warranty with it.

I dunno Tiger, I got mine with 225K miles on it and now it's got nealry half a million miles on it. I've replaced one turbo for $100 (used).

The 5 cyl's were considered so reliable because of the iron head. The 6 cyl aluminum head ones had the "issue" that if they overheat the head usually cracks and of course there's no such thing as a good used head. This is in the 300SDL and 350SDL and 350SD.
The 5 cyl 300SD was 80-85.
Plus, the 6 cyl onese were meant to use higher cetane fuel than we get in north america and half of the stretched the con rods and had ovoid bores requireing replacement or rebuild. FOr like $12K.
On Jul 14, 2:30 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (yard gnome) wrote:

I've bought two diesels in the past couple years, first a 240D and liked it so much, bought a 300SD a few months later. I've become an addict for that diesel clatter now. Such simple cars to work on, great economy, and reputation for extreme durability. There's diesel experts here that great guys in sharing the knowledge and offering tips.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

is by far the best car I have ever owned. Looks like a junker (Der Klunker) but drives lika a, well, Mercedes. But I have poured a lot of money into it having made the mistake of buying a used up one in the first place. The 5-cylinder 617 engine is legendary. Unlike modern elctronicized diesels, it will run when the battery is gone and as long as it gets fuel and air. It will survive ponds that drown other cars. One gets used to the clata-clata. I rather like it. Find one in really good shape and check it out thoroughly. The engine may run forever but the steering, brakes and suspension won't and a lot of bits may need replacing to bring it back to spec.