How are the mid 80s models??

Hi, I'm considering a 1986 420 sel from texas, it has about 175,000 orig. miles on it.. it seems (looks) to be in excellent shape in and out. I'd like to use it as a 2nd. car.. Were these cars any worse or better as far as problems? I see the S class has worse than average ratings in consumer reports . com although they only go back to 1998 models. Any advice is great, Thanks..

~yardgnome~

Reply to
okjust1 moreCookieeee

At that age a car's condition is the telling indicator. The quality problems arose with the cars' complexity, especially the electronics.

This body was powered by gas and diesel engines. The gas motors were a straight six, a 4.2L V-8 and a 5.6L V-8. The diesel was a 3.0L straight six.

This model was sold in Europe as a Limousine and has some of those attributes, especially the 560SEL. The cars were not designed for fuel economy or low maintenance cost as are American models. So if you don't drive much or the fuel cost and maintenance isn't an issue or you do your own the maintenance then buy one. If you do, have the timing chain checked for wear and stretch for if it breaks the repair cost will be as much as this car's purchase price.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Check for valavetrain noise or preferbly have somebody familair with the engine check forvalverain noise. A fe of them seem to have cam tower wear at his age and it's not the easiest to fix, that is upon rebuild some still have it. It's tough to get right.

See also:

Richard Sexton

SOMEBODY STOLE ONE OF MY CYLINDERS!

Reply to
Richard Sexton

And until you pay the ransom, you are not going to get it back. ;->

Reply to
Kenneth P. Stox