how different are 722.400 trans 190e and 722.403 trans 190d?

My 85 190d shifted well but had water and after a flush or two not longer does much of anything useful. Can I use a 722.400 trans as a replacement?

I am not sure. Usually you can install the newer tranny into older cars... I put in an 88 tranny into an 84 and all I had to do was change the tailpiece as newer one is bigger.
Newer tranny shift so much better... so much more responsive.
According to reference in Adsitco.
Your car is 722.403 and newer diesel is 722.414
Gas engines are 84-86 722.400 87-93 722.408
6 cylinders are different.
So you can install the 722.414 but I do not know if gas engine would work. I suspect the gearing is all different but the tranny itself will bolt up. The vacuum modulator would also be different.