How does one remove the driver side door handle on a 201 190E

How does one remove the door handle on a 201 190E?

I got the electrical connection for the power door lock off and also the hex nut from the side of the handle. Is there anything else to take off? How do I get it off the door?

Chris

Reply to
CP

Not sure what you mean by "door handle". The one that your hand holds? That handle is part of the whole panel. The panel needs to be off the door so you can remove the handle from behind.

Though I am still not clear what electrical connection you mean. The door lock is powered by vacuum. The front door lock element does have electrical connection which senses the key position and triggers the vacuum pump if lock/unlock is called.

But, if you can remove the electrical c> How does one remove the door handle on a 201 190E?

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

"CP" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I suppose you mean the handle at the outside of the door. To remove this you will have to remove the hex nut at the side of the handle. Then insert your key in the lock and turn it to the left or right, I am not sure about the direction. Then you can remove the lock pulling it out with the key.. And finally you can then easily remove the handle.

Manfred

Reply to
Manfred Jantz

I mean the outer driver side door handle and the key won't turn the tumbler because the lock has seized in one position and cannnot be turned left or right. There is also some connector, maybe vaccuum that the handle has inside the door. So after removing the hex nut and the vaccuum hose, should I pry the handle off with a screwdriver?

Chris

Reply to
CP

"CP" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I just tried it at my car again. I only had to loosen the hexagon socket which you find behind the small plastic cap. Then take your key to turn it to the right. Therefore you will have the door to be closed because you will otherwise not be able to turn the key to the correct position. Somewhere between the normal key position and the rightmost position you will be able to remove the lock. Try to wiggle a bit. Once You have the lock you can pull the door handle backwards and it will come off. There is nothing to do from inside the door. No removing of vacuum hoses or electric parts. No screwdriver necessary.

If your lock does not work anymore although the door is closed because it is defect you only have the chance to drill the cylinder out. I did it twice 3 months ago because I got two doors from the junkyard and I had no key for the lock. As I remember I used a 10 mm drill and had to drill through the hole cylinder to come to the position where the pin which opens the door is connected to the cylinder. It´s no very hard job. Be careful not to destroy your paint! I think it is something between 4-5 cm deep. When you reached this point you can remove the lock and try to remove the pin which remained in the door with a small pincer.

This is my experience from my 190E from 1983. I do not know whether they changed anything there in newer cars.

Manfred

Reply to
Manfred Jantz