how important is hood pad?

87-190D 2.5, 248,000 miles:
my hood pad is breaking apart and splits every time I open the hood. But how important is its existence? Do I really need to put on a new one?
Other brand don't have hood pad at all.
thanks for any idea.

I don't think that it's "important" as long as the motor doesn't seem excessively noisy to you...
I guess maybe losing the hood insulation is pretty common? My car certainly came without it. (1986 190e)
Marty
Hi Martin,
thanks a lot for the insight. How about using simple sponge matt one can get cheaply from home depot for under $10 and cut by self instead of similar for $50-100 at auto part store?
aren't they practically the same?
Ben
said:

Here ya' go:
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/lookup_parts.cfm?VehicleID 92542&SubcategoryID07&CFID816&CFToken593279
or:
http://tinyurl.com/4nk63
For your model it's $49.98 delivered.
Why putz around wasting your time trying to "make" something fit that is not designed to do the job, as you do so at your own peril! Think the old hood pad is messy? If you do a schlock job with Home Depot foam and it melts all over the engine and/or catches fire... now THAT'S a mess! Hey but you saved $5 or $10 right? :o)
Paul
--
--- http://www.astro-nut.com ---
"Benjamin F. Zhou" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
You will see the diference when there is raining. The rains drop on the hood you will see steam on it, its like the engine gettin overheat. Who cares.

Well, it's a good way to crud up your paint. But if you don't care, you don't care...
-- Mercedes. Benz. Use of Punctuation. Unlike Any Other.
I took a look at EBay and hit EBay Motors and entered "190 hood pad" in the search window. I got 10 hits and at least one was a new 190 hood pad for $38 buy it now. Seems like an easy way to solve the problem; right material, no cutting and fitting etc.
On 2004-08-22 09:43:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JMyers6670) said:

I bought one at my local mercedes wrecking yard for the same price (new).
Marty
PS I like to support my local guys.
Hood pad does two thing... dampen the noise you hear... and protect the paint from engine heat. Yes, you need them if you don't want your paint to fade.
Hood pad is $35 at http://parts.mbz.org /
You will also need yellow (preferred) or black weatherstrip adhesive that you can get at your local parts store... one tube spread both side... strategically... and stick together. $10 for the glue.