How is this new browser? firefox

How is this new browser? Firefox

snipped-for-privacy@edu.xunta.es thanks

Reply to
Ricardo Fernandez Guerra

Better than IE, not as good as Opera (.com).

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Unfortunately that depends on what page you're looking at :(

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

I used FireFox for a while. It was my 1st tabbed browser experience and the plug-ins were nice. After some use, the program got heavy and slow (much like IE). I've sinced switched to Avant

It is an IE shell but has tabs and ismuch faster. It also works well with pages that Firefox struggles with.

Todd

Reply to
toddx

I don't get the rage over firefix either. I'm severely in love with opera(.com). I canget my work done so much more quickly by using it.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Well, as you might understand, nobody would be using it if it worked as badly as you say. Perhaps these are specific problems with the Mac port. I use FF as my primary browser under Windows & Linux and the only problems I see, is not being able to open some IE specific pages, but that's the sad reality with any non-MS browser. A freind of mine uses FF on a Mac Mini and that seems to work very well.

Safari, BTW, is based on the open source khtml browser that was developed for Linux/KDE.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Part of the rage is that it puts the Open Source community back in the browser market. I have nothing against commercial companies, but commercial browsers are a scary thing. We've seen MS take an open Internet and try to turn things so that you not only need an MS browser but an MS Operating System to be able to visit most websites. That's a bad thing for all of us, even MS Windows users (like me) because it reinforces MS' monopoly.

I have noting against Opera, just never got 'round to using it, but I'll try to avoid using IE. One big advantage of FF is the availability of numerous extensions that allow me to turn off, for instance, flash animations and animated gifs, so that I can visit websites without being severely annoyed by rolling, jumping, moving and scrolling stuff. I love that... :)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Yeah I know that.

FF has a lot of catching up to do to catch up with Opera. Plus it's way faster.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

My Nokia 9300 has a version of Opera, it's anything but fast, but I'll blame that on the Nokia ;)

Does Opera still have those ads in the browser?

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Uh, yeah.

Nope, as of 8.50 it's free. Period. V9 (in alpha but you can get it) has support for bit torrent.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

OK, downloading already ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

Haven't tried Opera, but am really partial to Avant Browser, Lots of handy little things IE doesn't have. Tabs, mouse gestures, selectable button functions, RSS Feeds....etc..

May head over and d/l Opera just to check it out :)

wd

Reply to
Wheeler . Dealer