How much for new windshield wipers?

Just out of curiosity, did I just get taken? I went to a local german auto mechanic to get replacements for my windshield wipers, on my 99 S420. The guy told me that whoever replaced the windshield
wipers last (a dealer) put in the wrong wipers with a plastic spine which could not accept the proper replacement rubber. Consequently, he says, you need to get a new wiper assembly, one of which is 25 inches, and the other is 28 inches, made by Bosch.
The cost, with 8.5 % California tax? $127.00.
This struck me as outrageous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Yup. Wiper blades & refills are among the few parts you can get for a Benz at the local Pep Boys, Auto Zone or WalMart. Just look your car up in the book or computer in the wiper aisle and buy the blade it recommends. $40 tops for the pair.
I paid all of $10 for mine at an o'reilly's somewhere between austin and houston. and the guy even installed the blade for me.
of course, I have a 300E. maybe those swanky S class mercedes cost a hundred and 10 more...

I just bought a new blade at the MB dealer which had the plastic retainer ($12). Much easier to install and went right on the original blade holder.
No need to get a wiper assmbly though!!! - it just that (as he told you) the older style rubber inserts w/metal spines will not work any more - they were a pain anyway. Dealer price for plastic type is not much higher than parts store.
Scott D