how much to fix AC on '84 300TD?

I'm looking at an 84 300TD on autotrader. The ad says that the air conditioning is not working. What is the worst case scenario for fixing it? Let's assume I find a decent mechanic who works on old
Mercedes.
Worse case scenario is compressor... if the mileage is high, it is most likely to be the compressor shot. Wear and tear gets them. This will set you back $300 if you do it yourself... but while you are at it... convert to R134... meaning changing the hoses, drier, the valves, pressure switch and seals... Probably will run you about $600 in part only... You can put it all together yourself.
Everyone thinks about evaporator... but I gotta tell you... evaporator is the most protected item in the system... there is no way you can physically damage it pounding on the car etc... so it is least likely to be the problem.

Exactly the opposite on my Dodge Caravan, the evaporator is peppered with tiny holes behind the air ducts, in the front fender/air dam, from road debris. The evaporator is the forward most piece of hardware, sans the bumper.

The evaporator is inside the car, in the dash and is the part that gets cold. The part you are talking about, is the condenser, which is in front of the radiator and gets hot.
I have a 1987 190e that I had to put a new compressor on a few years ago... You should be able to get by for about $700 if you find a local guy.... The dealer will want $1300 + for the same job....
Kevin
www.huffreport.com A Celebration of American Cars, Music, and Retro Culture

Try $257 for a rebuilt compressor for your car... New one... ya... $769... that's crazy.