HOW TO CHANGE BULB

Sounds simple.. right? Watch this! The car is 1992 190E 2.6 .automatic transmission. I am attempting to change the burned out bulb in the shift gate. I have removed the wood panel, and unplugged all the switches. I am looking at the top of a black plastic box at least an inch thick, with the shift detent, and lever on top. Down deeper, (in my now open console) at least 6 inches deeper, at the base of this black plastic box, are 4 zinc colored bolt heads that seems to securing this box to the shift linkage. Question , how to open this box??....pry?.....pry where to open without breaking the 2 ears rearward, or the 2 ears with slots on front, and left. The top 1 inch seems, to be separate from the rest but won't budge! "Mercedes Engineering" would not have you disconnect the console shift linkage, to change a lite bulb.!!??.......right??

Reply to
r parris

Mercedes engineering would have you pay Mercedes to change it.

Reply to
Miro

Are you sure that the light is originating there? Many early models have the light bulb behind the upper console (behind air controls & heater knobs, etc.) from which a fibre optic tube takes the light down to the gear-select indicator. There are other optic tubes also taking light from that single bulb to other places. If the bulb is still OK it could be that the optic tube has simply slipped out of the plastic bulb surround.

Simple check, now you have exposed the shift linkage stuff... Move the lever and watch at the front of the black box. What appears to be a wire moving forward and back with the lever is the optic tube. Follow it upwards to find the bulb.

Don G

Reply to
Don & Jane G

I guess you are not very observant then. After you have removed the wood panel you are basically finished with re/re and you simply insert the bulb in the holder for the bulb. My guess is that what _you_ thought were switches also included - possibly - the bulb holder for the P/R/D.. etc illumination. You do not have to remove anything else. Do look/feel around a bit near where you excpet the light to be, it's there. I just did the very same a few weeks ago. THE big part of the job is removing the wood panel.

-good luck

:-)) good grief, what was that about stones and glass houses? :-) don't be too quick to blame Mercedes, just possibly, they know what they're doing

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I understand there is a bulb inside this plastic vault. The 1 inch thick, shift quadrant top is even replaceable, as is the dust catcher rubber boot inside. I found a part number on the upper rearward flange # 129 267 06 37 if the means anything can anyone help? Thanks ...........Rick

Reply to
r parris

Rick, once you have the wood facia cover removed, forget about the shift and/or the thick plastic shift plate wrt removal. However, as you look at it feel underneath on the left hand side, in the forward (more or less) position of this plate - roughly where the shift indicators are - for some wires. Pull at these wires (do be gentle) and they will come out along with the bulb socket. It is unmistakably a bulb socket. The bulb is one of those push in types (no socket or screw/bayonet mount) with their two wires simply exposed. The socket is not as far forward as the window rockers and or the seat heaters whcih you may possibly have. best of luck

regards

Reply to
Guenter Scholz