How to change plugs on C240?

Has anyone here done their own plug change on a C240? I have a 99 C240 Estate and I thought that the fee my UK Merc dealer wanted for changing the plugs was rather expensive. He said that it was a long job, and having had a quick look I believe him; it looks very fiddly to get at the rear ones.

But is it feasible, anyone got any experience, good or bad?

Any info gratefully received.

(Watch spam trap on email)

Reply to
Mike Norris

Its fiddly and time consuming, but not difficult.

Mercedes sell a spark plug socket with a built in ball socket universal joint which makes the job much easier, from memory its about £20 let me know if you want the part number, they also sell a spanner which although not intended for the job is very good for removing the plug caps from the plugs.

Aside from that you will need a T30 torx socket to remove the coil packs, a ratchet and a couple of short extensions, something to cut cable ties with and a couple of replacement cable ties, oh, and 12 new spark plugs ;-)

When refitting the coils pay attention to which lead you put on which plug. They are marked A and B on the cylinder heads and a diagram on top of the coil shows which lead is which.

A small amount of silicone spray down each plug cap makes them much easier to refit, this is handy when you are doing the fiddly ones at the back.

Reply to
miknik

I use it for removing the plug caps from the plugs. I find there is no room to get any leverage with pliers but the spanner fits perfectly over the plug cap and all you do is push the top end, the spanner pivots on the rocker cover and hey presto, the cap comes off. Maybe not essential for the DIYer, but it sure saves time when you start doing a lot of plug changes...

Part number is 110 589 01 01 00 and you can see it in all its glory here:

miknik