how to determine engine# ?

I am looking at some online parts catalog and get confused at the designation of engine# ? How do you determine what the engine number is? The car I am inquiring about is a 1987 260E with the 2.6L engine
W124 body. The excerpts below is from an online aftermarket vendor. How do determine if it will fit, where do u look this info up from your car? Apparently the number #035731 and #016911 are engines number. Does Mercedes stamp a number on every engine it manufactures? TIA
WATER PUMP INSTALLATION KIT MERCEDES BENZ 260E, 300E, CE, TEpad1986-1988 MERCEDES BENZ 124 CHASSIS
WATER PUMP INSTALL KIT
260E 103.940 ENGINE, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, TO # 035731 260E 103.940 ENGINE, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, TO # 016911

Yes, they sure do. Benz has a (somewhat annoying) habit of changing things in mid production run. For example a 70's 280SE has Bendix brakes up until a certain VIN # and after that they had one style of ATE brakes up until another # and after that they had another style of ATE brakes. So, getting brake parts for a 70s 280SE you need to be very specific as to when your car was made right down to the VIN #. "Was they made before of after march 69 sir?"
These VIN-breaks drive parts people crazy.
Yes, the number is stamped on the engine block.
If you tell the VIN or chassis number, I may tell you the engine serial number, if it is still the original engine.
Joseph wrote:

Those number are by your VIN number... the last six digits.