How to fix odometer on 85 Mercedes SD?

It stopped working. I think it is driven by the speedo cable---and the speedometer still works OK--- so I guess it is a failure within the instrument cluster?

Yeah, it's pretty common on the cable driven speedos. You can have it rebuilt. I used Overseas Speedometer repair for the one from my '72, they're in Texas, and if memory serves they have a web-site. The largest business in this field in the US is Palo Alto Speedo repair who are in Palo Alto California.
I can fully reccomend Overseas. They did a great job of me, and it was quite a cost savings over Palo Alto.
-H