How to get at the climate control unit

I have an 89 560SL. I need to remove the climate control switch unit. My shop CD says remove the ashtray and then pull the control unit out forward. I cannot see how to do this. Do I need to remove
the two screws in the back of the ashtray cavity? Does the control unit come out by prying or are there screws to be removed first? Any advise is appreciated.

I have an 84 300D, so this may not apply at all, but I had to remove all the screws to get the control unit out. Whereas, the manual said I only had to remove two. There were three more that held in the plastic face for the climate control unit. Once I got that face off, I had plenty of room to remove the control unit.