How to make exterior glass/plastic look new?

One of the telltale signs of a new car is the smooth gleam of headlight and taillight covers, either plastic or glass. Over time these surfaces lose their luster. Also, windshields attain a "gritty" look even if they've never been subjected to actual hairline or star-shaped cracks.

What would be the best way to restore these surfaces to close to their original condition?

Reply to
MusicMax

For clear plastic I use white polishing compound. For glass replacement is usually the most cost effective. For irreplaceable glass (pre 50's OEM) cerium oxide powder and appropriate variable speed drill with glass polishing pad. This is a lot of work and you need to know what you are doing. Article or class on making your own mirror telescope might be the best way to learn the technique. Best of luck Howard

Reply to
hnelson

If your in Ontario there is a business that does just that. Ontario Canada.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

"KINGLIFER" wrote in news:8Z_cb.6994$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Glass, plastic or both? Do you know if they have a website? I'd like to find out what process(es) they use so I can see if a local shop can do the same. I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Reply to
MusicMax