HOW TO PAINT PLASTIC

I am replacing the plastic "grill insert" on my 190E due to a minor accident. I want it to be flat black, to contrast with black exterior. Bought new insert, and scrubbed it with simple green and toothbrush air dried it, and sprayed on 2 coats of grey primer. the next day I sprayed on 2 coats of flat black. Trying to add accent strips, I found areas where the paint chipped off, or could be scrapped off with my fingernail. Was my preparation wrong, or is the paint I used wrong? (don't tell me I have to hand sand all 160 egg crate openings) paint is "fast drying auto paint" Thanks for any advice......Rick

Reply to
r parris

I would use testors plastic model paint instead of regular auto paint.

Did the primer peel off of the plastic? Or the paint off the primer?

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

try an etching primer to key the plastic. Brian

Reply to
brian clode

Krylon does have a paint specifically for plastic...don't know if they have the color you need, though.

Reply to
Herb Greene

There's paint made for plastic. Any good hardware store will have it in spray cans.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Looks like the primer, and the paint can be scraped off with my fingernail on sharp edges. The flat black paint never penetrated, or bonded with the plastic, or the primer....... This time I'll go to an auto Paint store ...Etching primer and Krylon plastic paint...........I can spray over this I think.... Thanks I'll try again.......Rick

Reply to
r parris

If the primer isn't sticking, you have made a big mess for yourself. You are probably going to need to get all the nonsticking material off, or nothing you paint over it will hold.

Then again, urethanes are very strong...

Good Luck, Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

If you're respraying the grill insert, use "bumper paint" which has a flex additive to make the part more resistant to chipping and cracking, either from flexing or debris hits.

Reply to
MTI

Krylon Fusion ® for plastic. Not available in flat black, but Satin Black

2421 should be okay:

Prepare the surface as recommended on the label. You may need to clean off whatever primer etc you've already applied. I recollect seeing Fusion in some of the larger Wal-Mart's.

Paul

---

--- "r parris" wrote: in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3117.bay.webtv.net...

Reply to
Paul Hyndman

You must use special "plastic Primer" and the paint won't come off.

Reply to
Peter

You should have cleaned the plastic mold release agent off the grille first. Simple Green won't cut it. Methinks a complete stripping is in order before you repaint, otherwise that grille will continue to chip.

Reply to
dougmcp