How to take off driveaxel to replace CV booth?

I need to replace CV booth on my 1981 300TD. To do that I must take the drive axel off replace the inner boot and put it back on. I did this once on a car that was front weel drive, but "things" look quite different on a rear weel drive Mercedes. I know I need to remove the drive axel nut and "something else" before attempting to pull drive axel out, but I would like to know what is that "something else" and it what order.

If anyone would be so kind to explain this procedure step by step or if there a site with this information, please let me know where it is.

Thank you in advance,

Marko

Reply to
Marko Kraljevic

You should really get a workshop manual before attempting this job. Removing the bits is one thing, but replacing them is something else. What torque should the nut be tightened to, 10 ft.lbs or 200 ft.lbs? Should it be done up just finger tight or to 50 ft.lbs and then backed off ? If you don't know, then you WILL be changing the rear wheel bearings in a very short time.

Good luck, but if you're not sure, don't DD

Reply to
Stratman