how to use aircon on my new 1989 190e (2.6)

Hi all,
I just picked up a 1989 190E 2.6l and am looking forward to a bit of luxury driving for a change.
Anyway, it has aircon but I can't for the life of me work out how to switch
it on. I have 2 heater rotating switches and above them I have a switch to the left which selects fan speed then to the right of that I have what seems to be a cold temp slidey setting knob. I can't find any switches to turn the a/c on.
Does it only come on when its warm enough ?
Also TIA
Kenny wrote:

If your '89 190E 2.6 is anything like my '86 190E 2.3, the air conditioner is turned ON or OFF be pressing the middle button on the right hand side of the wood trim above the radio. There are three buttons aligned in a column: top is MAX cooling, middle is NORMAL Air Conditioner (AC) and bottom is EC or economy (the AC compressor is OFF). On the left side of the wood trim there is a dial with markings in degrees F that adjusts the air to the desired temperature. The maximum cooling (top button) is recommended during humid weather and when windows must be defogged from inside.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. So the aircon works totally independently of the heater fan ? Its not a case of switching from hot to cold and it kicks in ?
If that's the case I think it may have been removed because I cant find any switches that don't do something else, there is one hole where a switch should be, it may have been the a/c switch. Its next to where the rear demister switch is towards the top of the dash in the centre (anyone with a 1989 190E care to advise ?)
I know the a/c is expensive to repair and this was very cheap (400), they may have just disabled it rather than fix it. There isn't actually much call for a/c in the uk but it would be nice to have.
thanks

luxury
switch
seems
the
Ahh... you are in UK... you have different system there... see if you can find a used UK manual on ebay.uk.
Yeah, you have the manual control. All W201 in US come with the automatic climate control with 3 push buttons on the right (vertically arranged), 5 (or 6) buttons in the middle (horizontally arranged), then a temp dial on the left.
Are you really sure there is a compressor in the engine bay?