How To Verify a 1998 E230?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a used E230 1998. Since this is the first time I'm buying a Mercedes, I dont know much about fool-proof ways of verifying whether it's an E200/230/240 etc. There's always people who likes to poke around the label/signature etc such as slapping E240 instead of original E200/230. So if anyone out there can give some hint please share.

Regards, Sam.

Reply to
Sam

If you take the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and enter it into CarFax it should tell you the model number and any recalls, accidents, title transfers, etc. It costs about $20 for a certain period of time (30 days?) but it's a miniscule amount for the peace of mind when buying a $20,000 vehicle.

Reply to
jav

The VIN number in US and the chassis/engine number in Europe will tell you everything about the car. Carfax or every dealer could do that. If the numbers are tampered with - walk away.

D.

Reply to
DCM