HOW2 remove damper w/o buying $300+ tool from MB ?

I need to remove the crankshaft damper and the manual calls for a "detent" tool [only available from MB for over $300] to lockdown the crank so the
front bolt can be loosened to remove the damper assembly.
Having not done this before, not being a mechanic, I still have enough common sense to know that independent shops are not paying MB $300+ for this simple widget.
How can said crank be locked down [automatic] w/o damaging anything, including a wallet :-)
Again, appreciatively to all,
Courtney

You could mention what model your rant concerns. That said, I have used an air driven impact wrench to remove the subject bolt without the need for any crankshaft lock. But, if you were to remove either the starter or (depending on model) the access cover on the bottom of the bell housing; a screwdriver inserted into the teeth of the ring gear will hold things to allow removing said bolt.
1984 500 SL with automatic transmission.
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:56:58 -0400, Chas Hurst wrote:

I guess distributor removal should go last, huh ?
Thanks for your guidance,
Courtney
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:56:58 -0400, Chas Hurst wrote:

Where does she rant?
cp
If he thinks that was a rant, he should have been in my garage :-)
Cordially, Courtney
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:59:22 +0000, cp wrote:

Who asked you?

Take a pill.

You've obviously had your asshole pill today. Got something positive to offer the OP?

Girls, girls, you're both pretty.
I agree with Chas by the way that a air powered impact wrench will take the balancer off without the need for any special tools. Putting it back on and torquing it to spec. is a different story...
I don't get your comment about the distributor?
Also, your comments about independent garages is kind of silly. Certainly you realize the a $300 tool is NOTHING to an independent merc garage. The first time they use it, it's paid for.
Marty
Thanks guys,I needed that ;-)