I feel ashamed driving a mercedes

When you see what is going on in Germany with the disaster of the truck toll system (the company owned by DaimlerChrysler and Deutsche Telekom AG acts like a crminal car dealer) and the quality of current mercedes models (rust, electrical problems) and the fact that even SMART drivers now think they drive Mercedes, I feel very disappointed about that.

I can not be proud of driving a Mercedes anymore. And I would never buy a new one anymore. Hopfully BMW keeps doing better.

Thank you Mr. Schrempp you failed to do anythink good for that company.

SL 500 Suffi

Reply to
Frank Lohmann

A fools paradise ..... an exclusive badge for $20,000 and only a million sold each year.

Pinch yourself.

Spend $300,000 and then you can live with youself. ....... or at the very least .. in the car.

Reply to
Miro

Don't lose any sleep over it. I bought an older Merc because it is well built , reliable, quiet and comfortable. I couldn't give a toss about what others think of me whilst driving it. If they make value judgements based on my choice of used car them they are the ones with the problem, not me.

Reply to
Stratman

I was more interested in surviving a crash. Couldnt care less if it was yellow and came from Cuba.

Reply to
Miro

"Frank Lohmann" wrote in news:c0skp7$lqm$02$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

Then perhaps your ready for a real Mercedes. Gas (to '72), Diesel (to '76).

If these are to old for you, then the late '80s early '90s 560 series is your best bet!

Reply to
George Mann

C'mon over to the house of BMW! From the pages of the "Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain" book:

o "Higher than expected" X5 repair issues (covered under warranty, though)

o iDrive technical glitches in current 7 series

o Harshly negative user feedback regarding the current 7 series iDrive system.

o "Unusually high" support costs for 7 series (out of BMW's pocket, not yours, in the form of extremely attractive financial incentives, guaranteed residual value on lease >US$5K higher than non-BMW financial institutions, warranty costs, and the factory buy-back program (in place now) to cheer up exceptionally unhappy customers). I'm not sure if this is a plus or a minus.

o Flame Surface styling. Some like it, some don't... a lot! Let's hope more people warm up to it when you plan to sell your new BMW. Criticisms of interiors are subject to personal taste, too

On the positive side:

o Critics hail BMW automobiles for being outstanding performers.

o BMW is offering great deals on current 7 series cars (especially great deals on those that have been turned around as a result of the factory buy-back program, but you have to sign a waver promising not to become a "unhappy customer" and cause them grief).

o BMW is offering unusually attractive financial incentives on the newly released (Flame Surfaced) 5 series, mere months after it was first unveiled.

o BMW has always reported strong sales numbers for the new Flame Surfaced 7s, though they appear to be declining slightly.

o Some people who used to really hate the Flame Surface styling are "coming around" and hating it less, while others even like it. Could these cars have always been as beautiful as Chris Bangle originally said they were, of are consumers just getting "used to an ugly dog" as the years roll by?

I think you need to do some studying, validate what people tell you (including me), and then come to your own conclusions as to what's happening at BMW. Then make a decision based on your own values and purchasing criteria. Good luck, whatever that decision may be.

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com 2000 BMW R1100S/ABS | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

"Frank Lohmann" haute in die Tasten:

Weichei!

If you think a different car serves your needs better, buy it, but do not mix up different divisions in one trust.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Does Weichei mean one is soft in the head...?... Living in Britain means I am, unfortunately, out of touch with idiomatic German.

Or generally not hard-boiled?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Same could be said of the ML

I've played around with the iDrive. It took me about 5 minutes without a manual to figure it out, and it would have probably taken another 5 to have it become second nature. With an owner's manual things would be even faster. Blame this one on the fact that there are too many stupid people in the world.

Didn't they sell more 7's/year than Benz sold S's?

Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

Weichei means "Soft Whimp". I think someone should stand by his car, even if the manager who happen to be CEO of the company, behaves like a fool;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

That's the way BMW sees it too. Their official word is that they created a much simpler iDrive 2.0 (as seen on the new 5 series) for BMW's less technical drivers.

I don't know about your "7 to S" comparison, but BMW's Flame Surfaced

7 series sales have always been strong, according to BMW. My previous posting alludes to why industry analysts are looking at BMW's unit sales figures with a "jaded eye". More details can be found on the web. No fraud is implied.

Side Bar: I can guarantee that you can make millions of US dollars in sales, as well as having unit sales in the millions, all within 6 months of starting a new business -- Selling $50 bills for $5 on the web. Unit sales or sales revenue don't always tell the whole story.

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

What is "Flamed Surface?"

Reply to
Steve Horrillo

It's the name of the "styling language" (also a BMW term) that BMW has attached to the body styling of their new vehicles. "Flame Surfaced" vehicles first appeared as the Z4 roadster and the current 7 series, and can now be seen on the 5 and soon-to-appear 6 series vehicles. According to BMW when this styling first appeared, it would spread to the entire BMW line of four wheelers. There is now strong evidence (though not proof) to support the hypothesis that BMW is retreating from this position, as can be seen by the X5, X3, and spy shots of the current 3 series replacement, the 4 series.

The Flame Surface "movement" has been harshly criticized by auto industry critics, right from its debut, as well as eliciting a strongly negative emotional response from current and prospective BMW customers. Chris Bangle, then BMW's styling chief (recently promoted to a position where he is out of direct control of styling) has become the lightning rod for Flame Surface styling, and for the alleged tarnishing of the BMW name over the past two years.

-Steve Makohin | Reply to snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com 2000 BMW R1100S/ABS | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)

Reply to
Steve Makohin

Also called "Bangleized" (designer Bangle at BMW)

Reply to
REInvestments

You make a good point there. Richard

Reply to
marlinspike

I had a Bimmer for twelve years and it was less reliable than any car I ever owned, including GM iron. But it sure was fun to drive!!!!

Reply to
f1741