!i!HELP!i! Electric Window Problem

The driver's window on my 1993 280E Estate has given up the ghost. It started making a clunking noise and jerking as the window was being raised, this (in a matter of two days) escelated to it not winding up properly at all. It needs physical assistance by me and my wife pushing the up button.

Here's the questions:

  1. Is this a straight forward job?
  2. Is it expensive?
  3. Has the whole lot gone or is the motor/gearbox etc modular?
  4. How hard is it to get into the door panels?
  5. Where is the best place in the UK to get the parts?

I am looking for a bit of advice really before I start ripping the door apart. Thats all :)

Thanks a lot guys Dr Beat

Reply to
DrB

Dr. B:

If it's like my '85 190 (which it probably is), the entire assembly, consisting of a vertical bar the window tracks on, a horizontal bar that supports it, and a large triangle of cable to pull it up and down, with a motor at the bottom, is all called "The Regulator." (Sounds like the next Swarzenegger movie.)

It probably broke at the bottom of the glass, where there's a kind of flimsy little swivel piece hooked to the cable to do the lifting, and you'll probably have to have the whole thing replaced in one piece, for probably over $300.

Seems like on my old GM cars, the motor would burn out, and I'd just get another at the junk yard. MB (Bosch?) window motors seem to last forever, so you end up eventually replacing the switches and then the whole in-door mechanism.

Reply to
Art

From the jerking you describe is sounds to me like some of the teeth have stripped off the motor at a certain point, so as that point with no teeth comes into contact with the teeth on the regulator it jerks and clunks.

You have to remove the regulator to change the motor anyway, and when its in front of you it will be obvious what is wrong because you will see broken teeth.

Most difficult part for the D-I-Y'er is that the regulator is riveted into the door, so you will need a drill and a rivet gun, make sure the drop glass is up when you are drilling out the rivets ;-)

Reply to
miknik

Not on a W124, it's all 10mm nuts and bolts.

Reply to
nick